Book review 14 - Love Fortunes and Other Disasters by Kimberly Karalius


Pages: 340
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Publication date: May 12, 2015
Summary: 
Love is real in the town of Grimbaud, and Fallon Dupree has dreamed of attending high school there for years. After all, generations of Duprees have successfully followed the (100% accurate!) love fortunes from Zita’s famous Love Charms Shop to happily marry their high school sweethearts. It’s a tradition. So she is both stunned and devastated when her fortune states that she will NEVER find love.
Fortunately, Fallon isn’t the only student with a terrible love fortune, and a rebellion is brewing. Fallon is determined to take control of her own fate—even if it means working with a notorious heartbreaker like Sebastian.
Will Fallon and Sebastian be able to overthrow Zita’s tyranny and fall in love?
My thoughts:
Not going to lie I knew nothing about this book before I bought it. This book was featured in a cover contest in May and I voted for it because it was the cutest cover. Then later that same day I went to the bookstore and saw the book and bought it on a whim. So glad I did because the cover is GORGEOUS and the book is SO CUTE!!

Anyone who knows me, or who has read my reviews, knows that YA contemporary isn't always my favorite. I like a few, especially the cuter romantic ones, but I have a difficult time reading some contemporary because there is no action. But for some reason this book was a total hit with me! The more I think about it, the more I realize that because in its own way, this is like a dystopian book. A girl sets out, with help, to change the fate of her city. It's such a cute idea.


I can't even begin to explain how unique this book is. In the town of Grimbaud, everyone gets a love fortune that tells them how their love life will turn out. So this town is centred around love. The main girl, Fallon, gets a love fortune with horrible news, and she's not the only one, so she decides to do something about it with them. Love runs this town, and I think it's such a cute idea. It reminds me of a Valentine's Day story, but where every day is Valentine's Day.

The world that this author has created is just so cute and fluffy. A little town where everything is like Valentine's Day all the time and everyone is happy and in love. 

I had one problem with the book, and not going to lie it was a big problem.. I didn't like the main girl. She was such a pretentious materialistic judgmental character. At times I found her intolerable with her better than everyone else stuck up attitude. I grew to like her, but she never seemed to grow out of that little phase and she just bothered me to be honest. Not enough to ruin the story, thank god, but enough that I was rolling my eyes at her. Her character development was there, she did grow as a character, but she never lost those qualities about her. 

Another problem I had were the very weirdly placed time jumps. Moments where she was doing something and thinking something and the next moment she would be somewhere else doing something else and there was no page break to indicate that so I was a bit confused at times.

This book reminded me of a cheesy tv movie. I don't mean that in a really bad way either. Like a really cute TV movie that everyone loves even though it's a little far fetched. You just can't help loving it because it's just so darn cute!! 

Well, I've used up my quota for the amount of times I can say cute in a review, so yeah, read this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up