FAVOURITE BOOKS OF 2015

It's that time of the year again! The time to list my favourite books I read in 2015. It was hard to limit myself in this because I had an excellent reading year but I managed to limit the list! These are in an order so the last book in this list is the one I loved the most!


#14 - Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake: This book was an absolute surprise to me. It is about a boy who is a part of a family that hunts supernatural things so he and his mom move to Canada and he goes to an extremely haunted house where the ghost of a girl named Anna kills everyone that's ever gone inside her house... except for him. This was spectacular. It was just an amazing unique story and it's unlike anything I've ever read before. 

#13 - The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer: This book is not something I ever planned to read. It came out when I was younger and a lot of people I know read it and I just never wanted to. In this world, really rich people in what was once Mexico can create clones of themselves that they use to harvest parts to allow them to live to be 200 years old. This plot was just fantastic and honestly the world building was incredible. It really shows the flaws in our world and was really just so well written. 

# 12 - These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meghan Spooner: Wow. This book is described as Titanic in space and honestly that suits it. It's just amazing. There are only 2 characters in this novel and it's such a fast paced and beautiful story. The entire trilogy is fantastic but this one was the best of the three. 

#11 - Reboot and Rebel by Amy Tintera: This duology made me wish every trilogy I've ever read was a duology. I LOVED this. It's basically a zombie story, but it sure as heck doesn't seem like it. In this story, when you die the "clock starts" so to speak. The longer you stay dead, the stronger you are when you come back to life. So everyone that dies and comes back to life as a zombie ends up going to this training camp for the army. These zombie's are stronger, healthier and less emotional than normal humans. The main character is number 118 (I think) and she trains a ton of new people because she's the highest number. Just absolutely fantastic well paced amazing character and world building and just a great fully developed story. Do yourself a favour and read this!

#10 - All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven: This book follows a boy and a girl who meet on the top of a bell tower. The girl is trying to get over the death of her sister, and the boy is obsessed with death, more by how he will die. This book is a poem basically. It's a beautiful amazing story with fantastic characters, amazing messages and a heartbreaking storyline. 

#9 - Confess by Colleen Hoover:  It's no lie that Colleen Hoover is one of my favourite authors and Confess is by far the best book by her. I can't even begin to describe this book because it has a mediocre blurb but an AMAZING execution. The artistic story in this novel is what put it over the top for me. I cried like a baby and didn't stop thinking about this long after I was done. 

#8 - Saga Volumes 1-5 by Brian K Vaughan: It hurts me to put this at #8. This is my first ever graphic novel series and it was outstanding. I have honestly no words. This story follows a world where a planet is in a war with it's moon and a soldier from the planet falls in love with a civilian from the moon and they have a baby. It's got so many side storylines and just a great cast of characters and it's hilarious and beautiful and yes so good. 18+ though guys, very graphic. 

#7 - The girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson: If you would have told me after I finished book 1 that this would be #7 on my favourites of 2015 out of the 164 books I read, I would have said you were nuts. But wow this series. It's such a complicated series to explain but the main relationship in this series and the characters in general are so well done and well developed that I've honestly never seen better character development in my life. Fantastic doesn't even cover it. 

#6 - The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss: On the other side of The Girl of Fire and Thorns series is this, I can't believe this book only made #6. Not that it's not good, it's really really good. Amazing infact. But it's just I read too many good books this year. There is no way for me to really explain this to you in a way that will make you read it so I'll link you to my review: http://thatgirlbookworm.blogspot.ca/2015/10/book-review-40-name-of-wind-by-patrick.html

#5 - Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta: I can't believe this only made #5. This is probably my favourite contemporary. It's complicated and confusing to start but it's also beautiful and heartbreaking and almost haunting in the way it makes you feel. 

#4 - Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff: Amie Kaufman has become an autobuy author after this year. She has NOT let me down and this book was no different. This is definitely the best fantasy book I've read this year and almost ever I would say. It's a story about space but it's told through IM's and psychology reports and program messages and just the most unique way to tell a story that I've ever seen and it worked. I just love this so much and the Hardcover is stunning.

#3 - Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli: This book. This is the most realistic portrayal of a teenage boy I've ever seen. It follows a boy named Simon who has been talking to someone named Blue. All he knows about Blue is he is also gay and that they both go to the same school, but that's it. Simon is being blackmailed by someone who is threatening to out his sexuality to the entire school. Wowie this book blew my entire mind. My number one hesitation when it comes to reading books about sexuality is that they are always so depressing, but this wasn't. This was lighthearted, unbelievably realistic and just flipping fantastic! I recommend this to everyone on earth literally and I was to see this hit the big screen so the beautiful messages in this story can be shared to everyone!

#2 - Wonder by RJ Palacio: This isn't going to make sense at all but bare with me.. This is by far the best book I read this year, but it's not #1. My real #1 is only in that spot because it's my favourite book I've ever read but it's not my favourite book I read this year. This is the best book I've read this year, perhaps in my whole 22 years of living. I just L O V E D this. I can't even begin to talk about it because I don't want you to have to be convinced to read it, I just want you to read it. It follows this 10 year old boy who was born with severe facial deformities and he goes to school for the first time ever. And wow it's heartbreaking. It's heartbreaking in a beautiful way. It's honestly one of the most important books I've read because it has such powerful messages about beauty, true worth and how we see other people. Just fantastic. 

And finally... #1 - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern: This is, as I said before, the top book I read in 2015 because it is my favourite book I've ever read. I've read Harry Potter and I love the wizarding world, but if you told me I could go to a fictional place in the world, I'd be heading to this circus. Stunning. This book is stunning. The imagery, the world building, the vividness of this story is just stunning. It's a puzzle and it fits together so well and wow I just honestly have no words. I want to have a Night Circus really exist more than I want anything else from a fictional book to exist. Just a phenomenal read for me!

So that's all everyone!! That's my top 14 of 2015! I had a great reading year and I honestly cannot wait to see what amazing books I discover in 2016! Let me know what your favourite book of the year was!!

2 comments:

Melissa Veras said...

Taking notes to increase my TBR!

Unknown said...

I did the same thing with your post! I can say I recommend these highly

Post a Comment


up