Book review #30 - Daughter Of Deep Silence by Carrie Ryan

Pages: 375
Publisher: Dutton Books
Publication date: May 26, 2015
Summary: 
In the wake of the devastating destruction of the luxury yacht Persephone, just three souls remain to tell its story—and two of them are lying. Only Frances Mace knows the terrifying truth, and she’ll stop at nothing to avenge the murders of everyone she held dear. Even if it means taking down the boy she loves and possibly losing herself in the process.
My thoughts:
"Sometimes I think that's the hardest part to recover from. Not the loss of someone, but the loss of the possibility of them." 

I am a huge fan of this book! I knew I would be honestly but I am still surprised. 

This book is essentially the tv show Revenge as a book. Revenge is one of my favourite tv shows so naturally I gravitated towards this book. This was such a unique story. It is very similar to the show, but in reality there are no books like this one. It's such a unique story and I would have almost rather this have been an adult fiction book that was a bit longer and more developed.

The main girl, Frances, was really great. I obviously sympathized with her and what she went through and I was so on board with her revenge storyline. But at the same time, there reached a point where I wanted to be like "enough is enough". She is unlikeable, but likeable at the same time. I found a lot of similarities between myself and her and that made it that much easier to relate to her. 
As for side characters, they were all great. Grey was such a complex character. I felt like I understood his struggle and while I didn't approve of what he did, I still find it in me to care about him. Shepard is a character I felt sad for truly. He lost the girl he loves and I feel like that stayed with him for so long. I cared about him and his forgiving and loving personality. He also reminds me of Jared Howe from The Host because he loves someone who really doesn't exist anymore; who has someone else living in their body. The person he love became someone else. 
I also approve that this book wasn't a love triangle. It could have been, really could have, but Carrie Ryan dealt with that so easily and wonderfully that I didn't have to live through a love triangle. 

While I loved this book, and rated it 5 stars, I did have problems with it. Well, I had problems with the end. I didn't agree with it.
spoilers ahead 

I like that the "bad guy" died. I like that Shepard and Grey lived. I like that she confessed to the female cop. I liked all of that. I do not like that she essentially goes off on her own and leaves them both behind. I know it's better if she starts over, especially since she "died". But she really could have started over with Grey. I know at the end of the book she decided to right a letter to him and tell him that she was alive and everything, but I don't like not knowing how that worked out. We got closure, but no closure at the same time. I also didn't like how quickly it ended. There was very little planning and execution of her plan, it just seemed a bit rushed. Still good, but I would have liked another 30 pages to maybe wrap things just a bit tidier. 

All I wish for this book is that it was longer. More developed storyline. More detail in the plot. More planning and acting out of her revenge. Otherwise, I was extremely satisfied with this book and I do definitely recommend it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up