Review 39 - Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Pages: 301
Publisher: Scholastic; Chicken House
Published on: May 4th, 2009
Summary:
It happened like this. I was stolen from an airport. Taken from everything I knew, everything I was used to. Taken to sand and heat, dirt and danger. And he expected me to love him.
This is my story.
A letter from nowhere. 


Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? 
The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.


Review:

This book goes down in History as my favorite book of all time. There is not a scene, a moment or a word I don't like. From the first sentence... "you saw me before I saw you" to the last sentence this book had be captured. This book follows a girl named Gemma and is a letter that she is writing to the man who kidnapped her. 

I think the first thing I loved about Stolen was the mystery. I wanted to know why her? Why was she getting kidnapped? I just wanted answers. Then gradually I lost interest in answers and I wanted to just know. I wanted to know what was going to happen. How would this story end? Would it be a happy ending or a sad ending, and for who? The pacing in this book is perfect. Not too fast where you are overwhelmed with information, but not too slow where you just want it to be over. 

The second thing I love about Stolen is the characters. There are only 2 of them, but they are so good. Gemma is this beautiful heroine, so accurately written. She reacts how I would react, how anyone would react in her position. She never gives up, she just keeps on fighting. And Ty. The villain of the story. The villain that I couldn't help but fall in love with. Lucy Christopher wrote Ty in this way that you either love him or you hate him and I just fell in love with him. I never justified what he did, but I couldn't bring myself to hate him.

The third thing I love about Stolen, and the reason this book still linger with me almost 2 years later, is the ending. Like Ty, the ending is something you either love or you hate. I loved it, I thought it was beautiful, but it broke my heart. 

This book lives on with me. I think about this book all the time. Sometimes at random moments, sometimes when other things remind me of it. It's become one of those books that touches you in ways you never imagined they would, and I think if you relate to this feeling in any way, you should definitely read this book, if only to see what about it affected me this way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up