Book Review 49: Nevernight by Jay Kristoff


Pages: 448 Pages
Publication Date: August 9th, 2016
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Summary:
In a land where three suns almost never set, a fledgling killer joins a school of assassins, seeking vengeance against the powers who destroyed her family.
Daughter of an executed traitor, Mia Corvere is barely able to escape her father’s failed rebellion with her life. Alone and friendless, she hides in a city built from the bones of a dead god, hunted by the Senate and her father’s former comrades. But her gift for speaking with the shadows leads her to the door of a retired killer, and a future she never imagined.
Now, Mia is apprenticed to the deadliest flock of assassins in the entire Republic—the Red Church. If she bests her fellow students in contests of steel, poison and the subtle arts, she’ll be inducted among the Blades of the Lady of Blessed Murder, and one step closer to the vengeance she desires. But a killer is loose within the Church’s halls, the bloody secrets of Mia’s past return to haunt her, and a plot to bring down the entire congregation is unfolding in the shadows she so loves.
Will she even survive to initiation, let alone have her revenge?



My Thoughts:

I want to start this review by saying that I asked the publisher Thomas Dunne for an Advanced Copy and they were nice enough to send it my way! 

This was just <i>amazing!</i>

So this book is written by an unknown narrator who is telling us the story of a girl named Mia and her journey through assassin school, where she wants to learn so she can avenge the death of her family.

The writing in this book is by far the best part. The first 11 or so pages were done in such a beautiful way that I was instantly hooked to this book. And the writing just continuously gets better. There are footnotes in this book and honestly at first I found them completely jarring. I would get so engrossed in the story but then I would have to jump to a footnote. But the thing I loved was that the footnotes involved little snippets about Mia's character or world building that I absolutely adored. It helped make the story a lot easier to read, but it didn't clog it down with info dumping.

The characters are fantastic as well. Mia is a character that I related to so well. She is easily relatable and has many qualities that people will see in themselves. Her wit, sarcasm, and humour were easy to read and made her a more enjoyable character to read about and her journey and character building was fantastic. 
As for the side characters, I loved them all. Tric was easily my favourite character but I loved everyone, even the villains. They are all such believable characters and seem very realistic to what you imagine real assassins to be like. 

And the plot. Wow the plot was good. I really loved the whole idea of a school for assassins and the way the school operated and just the entire aspect of the world building. I will admit, there is a section midway through the book that I found a bit slower to read, just because it was like daily life and wasn't always super engrossing, but it was still interesting to read and absolutely key to the story.
The ending of the book though, that's where things went from really good to amazing. I did NOT expect anything that happened and I, on three separate occasions, actually yelled out "WHAT" when I was reading. There were 2 instances at the end of the book that will make the wait for book 2 so unbearable. 

Overall, just an amazing fantasy story that has a great plot, great character, and amazing writing. I recommend to all the lovers of fantasy because what's not to love. And really though, it's assassin's.. what could go wrong?!


0 comments:

Post a Comment


up