Book review 12 - This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman & Meghan Spooner


Pages: 390
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Publication date: December 23rd, 2014
Summary: 
Jubilee Chase and Flynn Cormac should never have met.
Lee is captain of the forces sent to Avon to crush the terraformed planet's rebellious colonists, but she has her own reasons for hating the insurgents.
Rebellion is in Flynn's blood. Terraforming corporations make their fortune by recruiting colonists to make the inhospitable planets livable, with the promise of a better life for their children. But they never fulfilled their promise on Avon, and decades later, Flynn is leading the rebellion.
Desperate for any advantage in a bloody and unrelentingly war, Flynn does the only thing that makes sense when he and Lee cross paths: he returns to base with her as prisoner. But as his fellow rebels prepare to execute this tough-talking girl with nerves of steel, Flynn makes another choice that will change him forever. He and Lee escape the rebel base together, caught between two sides of a senseless war.
My thoughts:
This is no where near as good as book one was. Not even a little bit close.
I will say, the plot is much better and more interesting. The civilians vs soldiers on this really run down planet. All interesting, but the book just isn't as good.
Jubilee and Flynn in my opinion have no chemistry. I didn't see, nor will I see, the progression of their romantic storyline. Not sure really when they went from enemies to like romance partners but clearly I missed that section. Their romance got old after a while because it was always the same scene. They would want to touch one another, they would finally do it and then they would stop because it was wrong. It was also hardly developed. I don't really see their romance and I don't feel for it like I did for Tarver and Lilac's.
It was nice to see Lilac and Tarver again, even though they had a very very small and minor storyline.
That being said. I think I liked Flynn and Jubilee more than Tarver and Lilac. 

Also, in book one every chapter started with an interview between Tarver and some sort of LaRoux guy which made sense because it told us that yes eventually Lilac and Tarver would make it off that planet. But this one had the weirdest scenes at the beginning of every chapter and I had absolutely no idea what they meant or represented and I think they were mishandled and too confusing to aid in the storyline. 

They also introduced a lot of political and social problems I don't feel were really concluded at the end of the book. Sure there was an attempt at concluding things but there was a lot of easy way out moments. Like the ending with McBride was just too easy. A lot of those.

I know I complained about the book a lot. I really did like it but I just didn't feel anything nearly as strong towards it as I did to the first one and they are hard not to compare. I only hope that I like the conclusion as much as these and that I enjoy the new characters just as much as I did these. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up