Book Review 41 - Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

Pages: 599
Publisher: Knopf
Publication Date: October 20, 2015
Summary:
This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.
This afternoon, her planet was invaded.
The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.
But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.


My Thoughts:

My first thought when I heard about this book was Yes I need to read it because Amie Kaufman. This book has been very hyped for a while now, I've seen it all over booktube and Goodreads and I didn't know much about it but one of the book hauls I watched had it featured, and they mentioned that it was written in a really unique but different style and I just wrote it off.
I had no intention of getting this book. Honestly I didn't really plan to buy it because I did not think I would like it. Weird writing style never does it for me and I figured like okay well Amie Kaufman is great but that book won't be for me. Thing is, when I went to the bookstore to pick up November 9, I saw this book and when I was looking at it I noticed that one copy (one out of at least 30) had a 40% off sticker, so for some reason I just decided to buy it. 

I am SO GLAD I bought this book, and started it right away (something I also never do). This book was outstanding and the writing style wasn't hard to understand at all, like I imagined it being. It wasn't even something you need to get used to, you are just used to it when you start it. It was actually almost easier to understand this writing style than normal books. There was so long filler information, nothing boring or unnecessary. Every word, page, and moment was absolutely necessary to the plot. 

The plot itself was crazy. I honestly still don't even know or understand half of what I read. I mean I understand it, but I don't really <i>understand</i> what it all means for the world. The last 10 pages just changes everything and everything just got more crazy and confusing but in such a good way and I want the next book. There was never a dull moment. Like you know how most books have like the really big main event in the end and then there's like 20 pages of stuff after where you get a wrap up conclusion and chaos. Nah the main event of this book was like 40% through, followed by like 3 other main events that just turned this into a kick ass action packed story. 

The 3 main characters were great, even though 1 was <i>very weird</i>. Kady Grant was just this super kick ass awesome girl. She was everything I want in a female lead and more and just so empowering and brave and strong and talented and adored her character. Ezra Mason was such a cute adorable boy and he spent a large portion of the end worrying me slightly because I just wasn't sure what was going on with him because of everything I thought maybe something was iffy (you know what I mean if you've read this). And Aidan. The weirdest character in a book I've ever read. He's sort of the villain (not the official villain but a villain type character). He's just..... it's so hard to explain without spoiling. He's a very weird character I didn't imagine myself liking. I didn't imagine myself getting sad over him either. He was infuriating and most of the book's contents seemed to be his fault and yeah he was complex. (for real though if you've read it you know) 

This book wins 10/10 for uniqueness for me. It was amazing, unique (oh.. I've said that already haven't I...), creative, full of action, amazing characters, great writing and is just aesthetically a stunning book! Really really worth the read and is now one of my favorite books ever!

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up